Sunday, December 28, 2008

Hearing the Harmonies

"[But it is clear] that in these muddled notes Wassermann heard the melody that hummed within him but was inaudible to those not involved. He and his co-workers listened and tuned their instruments to the point where these notes became selective and eventually the melody could be heard even by ordinary laymen" (Fleck, 2005, p. 60).

I suppose this is my quest for the coming week--to revise my dissertation until both the melody and the harmonies that support it are unmistakable to even ordinary laymen. One frustration is having to do it in words. As Gilder (2008) notes, "Nothing is better than language for drawing an intricately vague veil over truth" (p. 41). But perhaps the 3 little letters after my name will give me the systemic access I need to begin to change that.

References

Fleck, Ludvig. In Smith, Barbara Herrnstein. (2005). Scandalous knowledge: Science, truth, and the human. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.

Gilder, Louisa. (2008). The age of entanglement: When quantum physics was reborn. NY: Alfred A. Knopf.

No comments: